Wrap up: Bump It at the Metro
Bump it at the Metro
A few weeks ago, five #yegfilm-ites descended on the Metro Cinema to shoot a bumper based on “spoilers”.
Last Friday night all 31 submissions were shown, and ours was one of them.
In the end, four awards were given away, and we came away with none of them, but our bumper will still be shown before select films at the Metro for the next year.
- Ali Hunt and Dave Hale for doing a great job acting
- Rob Latte and Cody Lang for camera operating
- Everyone for pitching in writing ideas and one-liners
What I learned
I learned a couple things from watching the other submissions.
- Many of the submissions dealt with either zombies, or cellphones, or both. So ours was good in that it wasn’t a zombie or cellphone bumper.
- Jokes about movies, and their spoilers, work a lot better than just the spoiler itself. Getting a good laugh out of the audience is really important in a submission like this. The two jokes in the submission got a good laugh. The other two cuts, the spoilers…I don’t think people got them.
- We needed more material to work with to find a great cut. We collectively wrote about 20 bits, and shot 10, but only a few of them really worked out. We probably needed to write 40 or 50 and shoot 30-40 of them and get a really good selection.
And of course thanks to the Metro for taking bumper submissions, and as this is a multi-year thing, I look forward to improving our submission next year.
This is the short piece (had to be under 60 seconds) we submitted:
Thanks for watching!
Posted by: yegfilm on Sun, Sep 16, 2012